Saturday, October 25, 2008

Morning Suprise at the Dojo

So I started to take a cardio kickboxing class at the Dojo in the mornings. Apart from the fact that I am so out of shape that by Thursday I couldn't walk and scrapped up my knuckles because my gloves are new and I hit like a girl, I feel really great.

When I went in this morning my instructor wasn't there because he was sick. There was another class going on and that instructor asked me if I would like to try some martial arts since I was there. Well, my first reaction mentally on seeing 2 rather large men and a third guy that I've seen there before that isn't really tall but he is bigger than me was no. But then I thought why not! I've watch my boys do this for 5 months I'm sure that I could do this. Plus it is soooo coool.

He asked me if I had ever done any martial arts before. I told him no, but that I watch my kids. We started with a hip throw. He threw me a few times very gently then I got to try it out on Sammy, the smaller guy. This is a judo move that I actually know and do on my kids all the time, just for giggles and to show them I am still in charge.

I threw Sammy a few times and the Wesley the instructor, who looks as if Zeus himself carved him out of granite looked at me and said "You've done this before. Are you lying to me?"

I said "Well. I'm not taking a class but I watch my kids and we practice at home. I've never really had this done to me."

"Have you been thrown before?"

"Yes sir, my son did Tia toush to me last week."

He just shook his head and laughed. "Your cheating."

When we were done with the throws he showed us how to get out of wrist grabs and then how to do the sleeper hold. We practiced the wrist brakes but we only had the choke hold demonstrated. Ouch! His point was all on self defence rather than tournaments.

Then we were on to some Ju-jitsu. He looked at me sideways and asked if Id ever done and asked if I've done ju-jitsu before.

"Nope."

"Your not lying to me are you."

"Well, I'm not taking a class..."

He showed us an arm bar from the bottom guard. I was a bit uncomfortable with some other guy on top of me but I was thinking he was an attacker and concentrated on the moves. I thought that was so cool. I now know how to brake an arm three ways! I really would love to go back.

I also can't wait to practice on El Patron.

2 comments:

j. said...

Awesome. I could use some martial arts moves to keep me safe in D.C.

Lisa said...

You sure keep busy don't you? I saw your comment (Mon 10/27) on Jacki's blog. You ought to post that story you commented on. That was a wonderful thing to share. I love stuff like that. Again....HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! I'll be posting a Happy Birthday Debi on 11/1. That's my way of saying, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" We luv ya! Lisa