Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hello Big Boys!

"I just flew in from Texas, and boy are my arms tired." El Patron acquired new pigeons this week. He got two new Silver cocks (that means boy pigeons, I know what you were thinking, sheesh).
These handsome boys are bred off a line out of Belgium. They are known for their mid to long range flying (300 to 500 miles). The plan is to breed these with some other silver hens. We would like to expand our silver flying team. Blue checks and Blue bars are just so common, and the whites get picked off by the hawks too easy.

Because of the problem with his arm, El Patron stopped flying in this years young bird* race season. He only got two races in, one of them was the day he got hurt playing softball and wasn't even here for that race. The birds were not in the best condition. We started training too late and some of them got a respiratory illness and couldn't fly. As a result of not flying the next years old bird# team will be large, 60+ birds. Old birds start in March '09.

We were looking over the blog and he told me we don't have enough pigeon pictures, so here ya go.





Terminology
*Any bird born in the calender year i.e. all birds born in '08 can race in the young bird races in '08
#-Old birds are any bird born in the previous calender year, i.e. all birds with a birth year of '07 and older can race in the '09 old bird races.

3 comments:

j. said...

Cute!

I had no idea pigeons could race. I can't wait to come home for Christmas, so I can see all of this stuff in person.

Debie said...

They use tiny little saddles ;)

Lisa said...

Tiny little saddles? Maybe I can get one of my beetles to ride on it's back! Just kidding. I don't have any bugs at my house except for flies.

Well if El Patron is down maybe he will like to see what a bird feels like to fly. When the weather gets good for soaring-he can go up with Gerardo and feel like a bird-no arms needed.