Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mommy's Dirty Little Secret






UFC 86 Quinton Jackson vs Forrest Griffin

Yes, I admit it. I LOVE MMA fighting. Don't judge me. Hey, Jacki like Opera (?) I like the UFC better than EliteXC or Affliction. I feel like they have the best fighters who are there for the sport, not just to be able to beat the snot out of someone (Quinton Jackson is the exception to the rule but I don't like him). Most of them are former law enforcement and almost all of them have college degrees. The picture is of one of my favorite fighters, Forrest Griffin. He beat Jackson in this fight and retained his Light Heavyweight title. He has a B.A in Political Science from Georgia University and was a police officer there.He also has no tattoos that are visible.
Before and after every fight the fighters will give nothing but respect to the other, unlike boxing where you often have a brawl in the ring after the fight or during weigh in. There is little trash talking. I like fighters who have a good ground game and can win by submission.


This picture is of Jason McDonald doing a rear naked choke hold on Jason Lambert for the "Submission of the Night"in UFC 88. McDonald is also one of my favorites because he goes for the submission and doesn't seem to do the ground and pound that makes the sport seem so violent. I also like Kenny Florian. He is very grounded and has a mean Brazilian Jiu-jitsu game. I think his nickname is "The Sage", which reflects in his cool manner of fighting.

I surprise a few of the ladies at church with my admission to the love of this sport. You really cant blame me. Over the summer I spent 6 hours a week in the MMA Dojo watching my boys. Now that school has started we are only there 4-5 hours a week. The boys don't like watching the fights with us (yes, El Patron likes it too). I wish they would so they can see how to utilize the move that they are learning. J2 says he wants to be a fighter. I told him he could, but no tattoos!

Next fight is UFC 90 Silva v. Cote. Looks like a good one. Silva is the Middleweight Title holder. He is from Brazil and an amazing fighter. We don't have cable and it is pay-per-view, so I'm looking for someone to record it seeing how it is the same night as the aforementioned Halloween party.

Can ya hook a girl up?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

WHOA!!! I didn't realize you had a "boy" side. I thought you were all about homemaking! I guess we all have a side of us that varies from the other(s). You & Uncle Daniel crack me up with the passion for these sportacular events.

j. said...

I never would have guessed. What a fun tidbit to learn about you!

My brothers love this stuff. You should call Dave and ask if he's going to buy the fight.

Meantime, I was really impressed by your description. One rarely hears the good stuff articulated.