Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On a sweeter note.


Sunday was the Primary Program at church. This is when the children between the ages of 3 to 11 of our congregation show us what they have learned throughout the year. The last couple of years, I haven't really enjoyed my boys doing this. J hated doing it. He couldn't understand why he had to participate when we teach him about free agency, but make him do something he doesn't like to do. "I should have a choice in it.", he said. He said that one of the most exciting things about being 12 was he didn't have to do the program any more. J2 can't stand still to save his life, even though everyone thinks it is so cute, it drives me nuts.

Last year J wouldn't stand up and when he did he pouted the whole time. When J2 gets excited he claps his hands really fast. This was before his diagnosis and our understanding that is his stemming. Every time they had to stand up and sing J2 would clap and bounce. At the end of it, I was so upset that I almost left church. Not for good, just for the day. At least my kid wasn't the one who picked his nose and ate it.

I totally forgot about it this year and was completely surprised Sunday when we walked in the chapel and all the kids were sitting in the choir seats. Well J2 bounced up and took his seat. Fortunately, he was sitting behind a music stand so I couldn't see him. It all went well. The kids were sweet and all the little ones waved at their parents. I tried not to look at him too much. The closing number was "I am a Child of God". The congregation sang with the kids until the last verse that the Primary did themselves. Over the sweet little voices, I heard it, my son singing. I looked at his Dad and asked "Is that him?" Tears were streaming while I was listening to him sing.

So, whenever I am exasperated at his behavior, I'll remember the Sunday I heard my son singing "I am a Child of God".

4 comments:

Lisa said...

mI love those Primary Program-Nothing brings the Spiri t into a room than watching and hearing children speak and sing.

I hope you'll pray more & ask HF to not let Jared's behavior bother you because its something that bothers you not anyone else. We don't see it. All my boys think he's the "coolest" kid.

I know it would be a perfect life to have perfect kids, but like you said before-HF let you have them for a reason. Don't let this kind of thing ruin your day. It's really ok. He's going to be great! I think the lesson here is to set your own standards of ok behavior based on ability not on the 88% of so called "normal" behavior. Do you know what I mean? If you change your expectations, then your perspective will actually be brighter and you will enjoy more happiness.

I have a different set of expectations for each of my kids. To think they'll all be like Jacki is unfair and unreasonable. I know where you're coming from because we all have "visions" for our most precious loved ones. But each one is unique and they each have to pave their own way in the world in an effort to be contributors & not a menance to society. I feel each one of my kids do something-some obviously could do better, but you know what? In the end-we would all do better if we really and truly knew better. (advice for the day.)

j. said...

What a wonderful gift to hear him singing that song, and to have the memory always. I wish I could have been there.

Juan and Anamaria said...

Hi Debbie,

Primary programs are great! JJ is looking so grown up on his picture!
Ana :)

Lisa said...

So, I reread this post and realized I said stuff that was conducive to your commentary. I overshot myself in writing my comment. Sorry. I have that "give advice" when not sought after mentality. And honetly - none was needed. Hope you'll forgive me! Have fun on you trip to Georgia! Lucky Girl!