Monday, October 13, 2008

Happienss is Choice

I had an epiphany of sorts this weekend. I heard the above quote at church yesterday which was a culmination of many thoughts that I had rattling around in my head all weekend. De-stemming 5 lbs of grapes leaves your brain with other things to do.

I decided that for one month when I say my morning & evening prayers I will only thank my Father in Heaven for everything and ask for nothing. Lets be honest, I am very blessed in my life and I am in want for nothing. So this morning I did it and express my gratitude for everything from my kids school and a car to get them there, for my health, home and everything. I did ask for one thing though (I'm just starting) that I would get through the day.

My attitude affects everyone else in my home. I want my boys to go to school happy. School is difficult enough without worrying about the contention you felt before you left or what will happen when you get home. El Patron had more stressful thing to worry about at work other than a hectic home life. It is up to me and I chose to make it a good experience for everyone.

Happiness is a choice, everything else is in God's hands.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVED this post! So inspiring and good reminder that I too want to try praying in thanksgiving without asking for anything!

We missed you guys this weekend! If you do come up soon, there are pumpkin patches and Cornfield Mazes your boys can try to navigate through. I tried to get Peggy & Cami to go, but they wer party poopers. Oh well! Everything abou you resonates the Fall Season. Your red hair. you passions in life, your birthday coming up and your talented ways. I always think of you whever I'm at Micheal's in the Fall because all those decorative house things looks perfect for your home and all.

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful thought. It reminds me of Elder Bednar's talk from the Saturday session: "Expressing gratitude enlarges the conduit for revelation."