Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm a Winner!

Well, I entered the L.A. Fair again this year and didn't do to shabby. This isn't a great photo but it is the best I have. They are on the left a Silk/cashmere blend spun on a hand spindle, in the middle is hemp spun on my Louet spinning wheel, and on the right Merino/Tensel again spun on my wheel. I was very surprised by the ribbons. The silk/cashmere is actually the best spinning to date and I thought I would at least get a first. The shocker was the hemp. I've never spun it before and it was one of our programs for my spinning guild. I'm use to spinning wool, alpaca, and silk so to spin hemp was very different. I really liked it. The best part is that you don't have to worry about accidentally felting it when you wash it. It actually turns out softer the rougher you treat it. The merino/tencel was just thrown it for giggles.

It is all judged using the Danish system so I'm only competing against myself not anyone else. I was the only one who turned in anything like hemp and I only received a red. I wish the critique would have been a little more in depth so I would know what to do better. All in all I'm very happy with the results.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll admit it; I had to look up 95% of the terms on Google. (Felting? Danish Method?) But now I have a much greater appreciation for what you did.

Good job! You've come a long way with this stuff.

Lisa said...

wqqql
I'm with Jacki-spinning is a whole new language. I didn't see this until today (FRI) after reading your comment on frugality. You ought to post photos & things your grandparents taught so you have an official record. I'm strictly blogging so I can print it as book at the end of each year aka Journal...baby! Yes...this is such fun and good journaling excercise. You have so many great things to share-keep it up but post some of those cool "lesson's of life" to be blogged and backed up on a harddrive for your kids and their kids. Life goes by too quickly and...bloggin takse up a lot ot time-so why no make this your journal? That's my thought. Jacki actually backs everything she writes on a portable hard drive separate from her pc. Good Luck with that party too! Tell boys we said HI.