Friday, April 10, 2009

Special Dye-it



There is a little boy in the Kindergarten that has a severe peanut allergy. He is in the morning class and nobody in any of the classes can have anything with peanuts in it, even the afternoon class. The classes all share the lunch tables and they don't want any peanuts, oil or actually the nuts, left where this little boy could come in contact with it. If he does he could go into antaphilactic shock. Some of the parents were a bit put out because Peanut Butter is the only thing that our kids eat. But, if it would send a kid to the hospital then we wont send Peanut Butter. He has done fine with Turkey and Cheese.

I totally get the food allergy deal. I have allergies to certain food, although not to the extent that it would put me in the hospital. We have found that J2. has a special allergy. He is allergic to Red food dye. That means anything with red food dye in it he can't process. We haven't done any test except trial and error. We had heard about the allergy in kids with Aspergers. J2 has some stemming. Stemming is usually hand flapping, clapping, waving fingers that sort of thing He claps his hand really fast and bounces, like a bunny. J. had some stemming as well when he was about 8 but he has stopped the obvious one but he still taps, incessantly. It is annoying but it is better than hand flapping. It is something that they really can't control. J2 gets so hyper when he has had red food dye and sugar that he bounces around and cant walk. He claps and beats his chest. I had read that Aspie kids who have a diet higher in protean and complex carbs have lower Autism type symptoms. We started changing the boys diets. We try to have eggs or Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast. They can have all the cheese and milk they want as well as fruit. No soda, no candy. It has been working so far. J2 walks and has less outburst and his stemming is pretty much gone.

How I figured it out was one day he wanted Strawberry Milk. He doesn't always have it so figuring that once in a while is o.k. I gave it to him. I had already heard about the allergy in others but what happened was shocking. He had such a bad day. He was bouncing and clapping, all day. When I tried to clam him down he cried and told me he was trying but he couldn't. The only thing that was different about the day was the Strawberry Milk. The next day I explained it to him that he was in "Red" all day because of the red dye and you cant have the strawberry milk anymore. I was expecting tears and why not, but all he did was look me in the eye and said "O.K. no more." He hasn't asked for it.

We have been pretty good about it. The other day J., being a nice brother bought J2 some Starburst candy. I was going to let him have just the yellow ones but he ate some before I could take them and was clapping all night. Again, I had to explain it, to both of them.

Today is the Kindergarten's Easter party. I had to go over it with J2 and the Room Mom. We have been through it at Valentines Day and Christmas. I looked at the cupcakes and we picked out one for him that had a yellow peep on it. They are the Funfetti cupcakes so that shouldn't be too bad. I went over with J2 about what colors of Jelly Beans he can have (yellow, blue, green) and the ones he cant (red, pink, orange, purple) It is such a pain. I feel bad like I am making a nuisance of myself and being picky but the other moms don't have to deal with the aftermath of the red dye. I'm not asking that none of the kids can't have this stuff. Just not J2.

Red dye is in so many processed foods. The obvious in candy and soda but it is also in yogurt like Go-gurts, fruit snacks, gum, Jello and juice that isn't 100% juice. It is also in some surprising places BBQ Sauce, Hamburger Helper, Delmonte Fruit Salad, and Doritos. He also can't have orange, purple, pink and sometimes blue because they all have red in them. We have to read the packaging closely. He understands what happens to him when he eats it, so he has been very good about it. It will be something that he will have to live with so I'm glad that he has been able to understand. He has some favorite treats like Juicy Fruit Gum, that is o.k. It is all part of life.

4 comments:

Lizzie C. said...

Your not a nuisance. You're being an involved mother...you should never be ashamed for having your child's best interest at heart. Good for J2 for understanding and making it easier on you. It's true, it is a part of life for him, eventually he would have to conform, but thank your lucky stars that at his young and tender age he already "gets it".

Stephanie said...

Very interesting. Glad that J2 is able to understand the WHY otherwise it would be so difficult to monitor and prevent. A friend of mine really watches the food dyes, too. Two of her boys really react to the red dye. Until she told me about it, I had no idea. So, I don't blame you for making sure he doesn't have it and I think you're a great mom by taking care of it =)

j. said...

I was shocked by how many things had red in them. That must make it really tough on J2. I'm proud of him for being such a trouper.

Lisa said...

Red Dye is a pain, but when you look at the differencein behavior-it's worth it. We had some great friends who had twins that couldn't eat any foods with red dye in it. Who knows what else in all of our foods that have adverse health effects. It's cool how you're navigating through all of these health issues.