Monday, April 6, 2009

Fantasy Wheel



(sigh!) Isn't this the most beautiful spinning wheel ever! I would never be able to have this wheel, not only does it cost a fortune but I cant eve keep glass drinking cups around. This is a wheel for those who haven't got kids, pets, or live anywhere near an earthquake fault. J. said it was used to spin "Fiber Glass".





This is the Mother-of-all, where the fiber is spun and wound onto the bobbin. It looks as if it is a flax/linen wheel. It has a distaff (the tall spear looking thing rising above the wheel) that holds the flax to be spun and there is a bowl by the mother-of-all that holds water for wet spinning, which is how linen is most commonly spun.




"Leonardo was the first to draw up plans for such a device, but spinning wheels in one form or another have been around about as long as glassblowing... 4000 years." This beautiful wheel was made by an amazing glass artist Andy Paiko in the Pacific Northwest. He makes several beautiful glass art works. Check out his site http://andypaikoglass.com/

And just in case you want to know...yea it works although, I think I'm one of the few that would watch the whole 6 minutes.

3 comments:

Lizzie C. said...

I couldn't see any of the pictures. I don't know if it's my computer or what. The mother-of-all sounds pretty cool though.

j. said...

I couldn't see the pictures, either. But the wheel in the video is a piece of art.

Lisa said...

I couldn't see the pics either, but I honestly believe that you DESERVE to have any Spinning Wheel you want because you would truly APPRECIATE it. It's neat that you are passionate about spinning & so many other things.