Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas Break-Part 3

FOOD
Torta Fritas
or Manna from Heaven?

The Monday morning of our first day of Christmas Vacation it was pouring outside, finally. I asked El Patron what he wanted for breakfast. He said he would love Torta Fritas. His mom always made them when it rained and it is a total comfort food for him. It is similar to fry bread and you put sugar on them. My boys love them with Dulce de Leche. It is a bit surprising that I make them up to par. The first time I tried to make them E.P. took one look at the pan I fried them in and said that they were all wrong because that wasn't what the oil looked like when his mom made them. He hadn't even really tried them yet. I was a bit discouraged for a while. But I had another go at it and he really likes them. Apparently they go well with Mate. J. decided that he would share a mate with his dad on a rainy morning.

No, it is not a bong.

Mate is a South American tea. It is an herbal type of tea. It is a loose tea that you drink scalding hot through metal straw. One person pours and passes it around the circle. Yes, everyone drinks out of it which is why I think the water is so hot. There is a whole etiquette in drinking Mate that after 15+ years I don't think I know. The first rule I learned was that the "Angla" (white girl) was not to pour. I think I've passed that stage now and I have poured the water but not in front of a lot of South Americans. Usually when E.P. is driving and cant do it himself. One of the first questions I get asked when I meet someone from Uruguay or Argentina is if I drink Mate. Sometime I do. I drank some Argentine mate in Utah once and could feel my heart beating in my toes for like three hours. It doesn't have caffeine but it is a stimulant.

Christmas Dinner


We decided to make a big Christmas dinner on Christmas eve. I made the works. Turkey, stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, Sparkling Cider, pumpkin pie, even canned cranberry sauce. I've only made a turkey once before. It all turned out great. We invited our neighbors across the street to have dinner with us.


We ate in the addition after we warmed it up a bit with the heater. After we ate I let the boys open a gift from Grandma Mary. To top off our night we went and looked at Christmas lights in our neighborhood that the danced to the music on a specific station. It was very cool.



While I was making dinner I started to feel a massive headache coming on and by the time we went to bed it was bad. Christmas morning came and the boys got up but didn't know where to look for the presents. The tree was in the addition and the stockings were by the fireplace by the living room. Santa had left their stuff on the couch by the fireplace. They were very excited and opened up everything with their dad and I in bed. I had a pretty good size migraine by then so I didn't get any pictures of it. They also ate all the candy before we could get to it. I've said it before I'm not the worlds best mother, but I think they had a good Christmas.

2 comments:

j. said...

Those pictures were fun.

It was great to see you and the family. The boys are so big! I know you post pictures all the time, but it's different when they're up close and huggable.

Lisa said...

You guys look like you're had a GREAT time! Nice meal too. You do that so well...cooking n all. Happy kids too!