Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas Break-Part 1


We had a great Christmas break. We also had an incredibility crazy month leading up to the Holidays. Here is some of it in Picture form.

PCBC Poultry Show


J. on the end during Showmanship

Dec. 1st we had the Pacific Coast Bantam Show. It is a really great local show that they do every year. We really enjoy it and this year we came home with more birds than we took.


J.'s Silkie Hen and Cock

J. won a first for the painting contest for the second year
and the Crowing contest for the 3rd year.

J2's new Duckwing Old English Hen and Cock
We got him new birds because his Modern Game Cock was so mean. He didn't want to hold them when we got them home. We kept telling him that they were nice so he was brave and decided to pick them up. When he reached for the hen she promptly pecked him. He still has a hard time with them. J. is helping him get past his fear.


A pair of Black Frizzles that are co-owned by J. and Filbert.


New Ringneck Tangerine Doves.

The Thursday before school got out we had my beautiful nieces over. J. went to check on the birds before Judo and he came running into the house looking very concerned. Out of his jacket pocket he pulled out a very small, cold baby silkie. We needed to warm it up. J. put it on a towel on the piano bench with the piano light over it. The girls were all so very concerned and named the baby chick "Hope". It is very interesting the difference between the boys and the girls. My boys weren't nearly concerned for this chick and the girls were. I was trying to get everyone ready to leave. The boys had Judo and two moms were on their way to pick up some girls. So I was not as sympathetic to the plight of the chick as I think they were expecting. It survived and two more were added. We needed to bring them into the house because it was too cold and the moms couldn't keep them warm. We found two others who had succumbed to the cold.


Filbert and T. looking after "Hope"

Dean and his girls came over during Christmas and all P. wanted to do was hold the chicks. They are hard to see because they are black.


Stay tuned for another instalment. We got a new keyboard and it sticks some plus I really really would love to get a shower today.

1 comment:

j. said...

I can definitely see how J2 would be concerned about a mean bird. I don't know if would be able to work through the fear myself.

Meantime, I think it's awesome that the boys are passionate about such a great program. I think their involvement now will benefit them forever.