Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Momma Bear



Gonna be a bear

In this life I'm a woman. In my next life, I'd like to come back as a bear. When you are a bear, you get to hibernate. You do nothing but sleep for 6 months.
I could deal with that.

Before you hibernate, you're supposed to ear yourself stupid. .
I could deal with that too.

When you're a girl bear, you birth your children (who are the size of walnuts) while you are sleeping and wake to partially grown cute, cuddly cubs.
I could definitely deal with that.

If you're a momma bear everyone knows you mean business. You swat anyone who bothers your cubs. If your cubs get out of line, you swat them too.
I could deal with that.

If you're a bear, your mate EXPECTS you to wake up growling. He EXPECTS that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat.

Yup, gonna be a bear!






My cousin, Stephanie, sent this to me this week. I have had it sent to me before but I don't remember who sent it (sorry).
In the case of full disclosure, I do have hairy legs. My razor broke and I haven't been the store yet, but... I digress. The part about meaning business and swatting anyone who messes with your cubs is so me now. We have had a few instances this week that had brought out the momma bear in me and I'm really not that happy about it.

When J2 had his Aspergers diagnosis I told El Patron that I didn't want to become some crusader for the rights of AS children everywhere and go to endless meetings-support group, IEP's,
fundraisers, etc. I didn't want to be that parent that is in the special ed office all of the time with all the latest studies on new therapies. I didn't want to be the parent who needs to hire an advocate so the school will give my boys what they need. I really, really don't want to hire a lawyer because the school wont do their job.

My kids are not that high on the spectrum. I'll just meet with the teachers and they will help me and support my kids, right. The are the professionals right, they have masters degrees in education and special education, right. This is there profession, right. They are there to help the kids, right.

WRONG!

They will tell you nothing even if they know what your kid needs and how to help. They will try not to bring anyone from the outside in at all cost. They will give you the runaround and tell you they are trying. In the meantime your child is suffering. They aren't getting the education that they need and deserve. The school and the district are only about the bottom line. How much they can save and how much money per student they get from the government is the main priority.



I was so wrong and now I've been turned into a momma bear and the

fight is on.

3 comments:

j. said...

That's frustrating. Good luck, Momma Bear.

Lisa said...

Oh...what a pain. I hate the school district. That BEAR post was pretty funny-I saw one of those on my email FWDs but deleted it. I'm glad I read it here-its very funny. Sorry you have to go through t hat load of crap. See you in a few days!

Stephanie said...

It IS amazing what we will do for our kids. I know several people jumping through the school district's hurdles for one thing or another. Ughh. I actually didn't read the Bear e-mail for a few days, but when I did read it, I LOVED it. Allison sent it to me. Hang in there, Momma Bear!