Thursday, January 8, 2009

Schooling Update


Pardon my absents in the blog-o-sphere. We have gotten busy with the return to school and El Patron getting the all clear from the Doc. to return to full time stasis at work. The thing holding me back in reality is my crap, crap crappy keyboard that sticks something fierce and hurts my already tender wrist.

I thought that I would update ya'll on J's school situation. It's hard to know where to start. Over the Christmas break we talked to my friend who is a Autism Specialist. She went over the assessments and the currant IEP (Individual Education Plan). She told us what to ask for and how the school is in violation of J's FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education). So we felt prepared for the meeting. I'm never sure of how these things will go and what will happen but E.P. felt like we had options. We went in ready to ask for a Speech Assessment for Social Pragmatics and an Administrative Transfer to a different Jr. High. We also realized that for J. to get the help that he needs he has to be in the public schools. So no homeschooling...for now.

The meeting went on for 2 hours and we feel like the school and the district understand where we are coming from and our frustrations with the school. We got the transfer and the Principle actually suggested the school we wanted. The alternative was to be placed back into his current school with support. Which is what has happened. No room at the inn so to speak. So tomorrow J. is back in his old school. I talked with his case manager about some other things that we had talked about in the meeting to make sure that J. is safe and feels supported. Some other points she is being stubborn about so we will be having another meeting about those issues. He will be getting the Speech Assessment but probably not with pragmatics so we will be asking for an outside agency for another Speech Assessment for Social Pragmatics. He is getting counseling through our SELPA (Special Education Local Planning Area) mainly because J. has some anxiety issues that they can help him with.

I think one of the best things to come from the meeting is that our school will be getting staff training in Autism and Aspergers. The statistics are 1 in 150 kids have Autism/Aspergers. So I'm hoping that another family wont have to go through what we have been going through for 7 years of fighting the school for understanding and help. It will also benefit J2 mostly. He actually has it better. He has more service and the staff seem to be more understanding about what he needs. That doesn't mean that there are cracks in his IEP and services that he may need, but it might be an easier road for him.

Now what is Momma Bear going to do next? I'm requesting the school give me a copy of his student file with all e-mails, discipline actions and personal notes. I hope it is huge. It is my right as a parent to have this file and I want it. The VP had some information wrong in the meeting and I want to make sure that it is all correct. I don't trust the V.P. I will be watching this school like a hawk. Any bullying by anyone, especially the one boy who J. has had problems in the past and currently will be noted and e-mailed to the principle. No more sweeping it under the rug and telling J. that it is his fault, that he is making himself a target. They will deal with this. I will be filling a School Site complaint with the district. And a Due Process with the OAH (Office of Administrative Hearings) if J.'s IEP is not fixed by the end of the school year.

I'm not asking for the stars and the moon. Just what is appropriate. The difficulty lies in the fact that the boys are mild with their Aspergers and in the case of J. has high test scores. The schools don't feel that they need the help. I was told that all 12 yr. old boys write badly, so J really doesn't need the help. What?

So the fight continues and I have been assured by other parents who have gone through this with their kids that it does get easier as the boys get older. Lets hope so.

4 comments:

" Let's Walk n Blog! said...

Those are some real challenges you guys have with the district, but you guys did well. I'm amazed at how well you know your rights. So many parents don't.

Love is such a powerful driving force for good. Good Luck & don't forget about your knees when you get overwhelmed & stressed out. You'll find solace & answers there.

Debie said...

It took us almost four years to learn our rights. We have been blessed with some great help for our kids. The schools don't tell you much. It will cost them to much money.

Lizzie C. said...

You are your childs advocate. Good luck. It's awesome how much you know.

j. said...

Let me say upfront that I never want to mess with you or your kids. :)

Second, whether it took four years or not, I'm impressed by how much you know about the system. That's no mean feat.