Friday, January 9, 2009

Being 40

My 41st birthday

When I turned 39 my bestest friend, with whom I share a birthday, with was turning 41. I told her about my concern over my turning 40. Ya know, have I accomplished enough, wow that's really old, and of course, am I my Mother? She gave me the best piece of advice. She said "When you turn 40 you stop caring about what others think of you. You can say what is on your mind and let the chips fall where they may. Being 40 is great."

Well now that I am 41 it has hit home. Especially in my dealings with the school. I'm not to be pushed around anymore. I've taken my new attitude and have been using it judicially, I hope, in all sorts of situations. The need to be incredibly and horribly sarcastic is there and I have found that I need to keep that in check. When the Autism Specialist told me, when I asked about the OT not being replaced yet, that "well we hire these young ladies that start families then all of a sudden we need to replace them." WHaaaa, she has been pregnant for 7 months. It's not like it was bang, here is a baby. That takes time. My tongue was bleeding. I couldn't afford to alienate this lady, I needed her in J's IEP the next day. So I didn't say anything. That was so hard. I deserve a medal for that one.

So for all of you under 40 but fast approaching, it gets a whole lot better. For all of you who are over 40, you are just nodding in agreement. You know how great it is.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I take my pointer thing & tap each shoulder & hand you a medal! You deserve it.

BTW: That is Cindy Watanabe. You probably did teach her boys. You'll be happy to KNOW the oldest is coming home from his mission & the younest is getting ready to leave! I guess that means you taught them a long time ago! She's one of the nicest girls I know. She still beams. She is the Girls Camp director. Interesting for me to see the HH ward. Theres ALOT of YW. We went on a day where they gave the SAC program & the whole choir area was full of YW staring back at us (the congregation) My mom loved it. Seeing youth running church.

j. said...

Interestingly enough, I've always looked forward to my 40s.

It seems like you have some degree of financial security (a house, a retirement fund, a job), a body that is still young enough to do great things, and all the benefits of the mind (experience, knowledge, attitude).

And mad props on controlling the comment. As a twenty-something, I still say pretty much everything that comes into my brain. :)

Juan and Anamaria said...

Yup! Forty is great! Kudos for restraining yourself, I know that I probably would of lost it! The Forty club is great! I hear the same from the 50 crowd, not so much from the 60! :)

Stephanie said...

I'm approaching 40, which sounds weird to even say! I'm already seeing a glimpse of how good it can be. Kudos for the restraint! That must have been hard to even not give an incredulous look =)