Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What do country boys do when they have no cable t.v.?


We had a very full Thanksgiving weekend. It has taken me a while to decide on which of the pictures and videos to use. A few of our outstanding neighbors lent us the equipment you see above. El Patron wanted to grade out the back part of the property for a while. He had some time and his arm had been feeling better. The back part, what is referred to at our house as the "back back" because it is in back of the back yard. It has been in need of some loving for a while. When we did the compaction for the house they needed more dirt so they took it out of the back back. For a while we had a big depression in the middle and when it rained we had a little lake. Because of all the heavy machinery and trucks that went through it was very compacted. It also has tons of weeds. First he needed to disc it.




Here is the Video that J. took.



When that was all finished they threw down 30 lbs of rye grass seed. I was sent to the home improvement store to get it and the guy looked at me like I was crazy for wanting 50 lbs. of seed. It only came in 15 lb bags and I wasn't sure of how big the area was that we needed to cover. I just told him it was very big and I would call and find out what we needed, thank you for your help.

Then the grading began. E.P. hooked up a chain link fence to a grader and drove it around to level out the dirt. We have done this once before when J. was around 7 yrs. old so I was totally prepared for what was going to happen. Please don't call CPS.



While he was going around I looked at his dad on the tractor. He gave me a little shrug and a look that said boys will be boys. The one thing I was concerned about, apart from him being run over of course, was the glass. We are forever pulling out chunks of glass out of the dirt.

When they were done "playing" they needed to get the weeds out. J. rode around on the back and pulled them out of the grate. This made me more nervous than him being dragged around.
Especially because he had no shoes or boots on.





When it was all finished it looked great. We are getting a really great "park" feel here. In the distance was where we kept the sheep. E.P. planted his avocados there and he moved all of the firewood. We have more fruit and citrus to plant. A few more years and we will be in full production.



This is the back of the house from the pigeon lofts.


Its all starting to take shape out there. Now all we need is rain.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I would LOVE to have land like that. Our lot is the size of a postage stamp!

Lisa said...

You guys are nothing short of amazing and I mean it. I find your hard work ethic to be one in a million & I believe you guys know better than anyone the meaning of reaping what you sow.

I think the, "by the sweat of thy brow..." is an understatement but truly a life well lived. I think you guys have a great life without cable! That's the kind of life the Lord intends for his people if you know what I mean. AWESOME.