Housekeeping is not my fortay. I've never been good at it. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance. I try, I really do. I get overwhelmed and side tracked very easy. I also get discouraged. Seriously, how many times can a gal wash dishes in a day. Sweeping with kids around is like shoveling snow in a blizzard! With all the animals behind me in on my property and behind us, dusting anything is a act of futility. One would think that it would be easy in a tiny space where we live. We haven't officially moved into the addition, so what I have is under 900 sq. feet. Easy to keep up right. Maybe if it wasn't so crappy. I tried to clean the grout in the kitchen with a steam cleaner that my mom gave me and it turned out I have no grout. Most of the kitchen counters just grime. The tile is from the 50's and so is what grout is left there. What happened when I tried to clean it was that gunk flew onto the sink and counter I just cleaned, so it needed to be cleaned again. My dishwasher and the garbage disposable have been broken for months. El Patron would love to get me a new one but it really isn't in the budget right now.
The dust bunnies under the beds are like Flemish Giants Rabbits (for those of you not in 4-H they are the largest rabbits. They grow up to 18 lbs.) I know that it needs to get a little under control. I have one person of our acquaintance who wont come into my house because of my lack of homemaking skills. When I heard that I was deeply hurt. I can do it. I have in the past. I have other issues that are a bit beyond my control. Everything here is temporary until the house is finished. Half of my stuff is still in boxes. It has been like living out of a suitcase for 6 years. Then there is the time issues. Yes I am a stay-at-home mom but for 3 years I've almost lived out of my car. When J2 was 4 he has preschool and speech therapy in two different places across town. Then he was in Kindergarten but only half days. I would go to the school 3 times a day. Then he was held back and is doing kinder again but his O.T. and Speech are in the morning so I'm always driving. I never seem to have time to do all that needs to be done. I'm only home maybe 30 to 45 minutes then I need to run off and take someone somewhere or pick them up.
I try to be there for my family for the important stuff. Helping J wash his chickens for a fair is more important than washing dishes. Reading to J2 in the midst of the laundry is more important than folding it. My boys are only with me for a short time. They will only be 6 and 12 once (somedays that is a good thing). I had a educational specialist tell me to play with my son one on one and let them direct the play. So I sat down with J2 and told him I was going to play with him. He gave me a weird look and said "No, you have to go do the laundry." I was kind of hurt by that. I stayed and we played together and it was really fun. I try to do that with them both.
Yea, the housework is always going to be here, but I like to think that I am doing my real job, being mommy. And they cant fire me.
3 comments:
Moms tend to be harder on themselves than needs be. My floor has an inch of dust, dog hair, & debris. It bugs me, but not enough to do anything about it. You've seen our house-we've never had bedroom furniture & there are a dozen boxes along the walls. I've been married 27 years and I still stink at housework. Gerry didn't marry me for my housekeeping skills. Be kind to yourself.
give yourself a break! You are not exactly an idle person & your boys need you. If anything you can get them to clean up. If you go to my friend Jills blog-she had a post in there about advice from a mom of quintuplets. It's adventuresofgrandmahoney.blogspot.com. It's pretty enligtning-I loved it & maybe you'll get an idea or spark of inspiration so you don't have to feel so bad.
Lisa,
Please re-read the last two paragraphs. Yes, I suck at housework but I'm a mom not a maid. That is what is important. Being a mom is my true calling.
I actually re read it and thought your opening was pretty funny & realized that my comments were sort of over board. Sorry. I get it. You're a mom not a maid!
Post a Comment