Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jr. Fair

This last week was out Jr. Fair for our local 4-H and FFA kids. The boys entered quite a few items and did really well. We helped set up for the fair on Monday. We were there putting up poultry cages until 2:30 then we came home to make the entries for the Food and Nutrition Class.

PoultryJacob showed his silkies and took 2nd for the Feather Legs Class. He did showmanship and was finally able to beat the girl who he has been going against for 4 years. He was then able to do Master Showmanship for small animals (poultry, dog, rabbit, Pygmy goat) The winner gets a belt buckle, something that J. has never won. Unfortunately, he didn't win but he is more than determined to do better next year.

I didn't know that they were doing the awards so I missed the photo op. J. came into the hall where I was and told me they gave out the awards. I didn't think he won (nice, mom!) so when he pulled the first place ribbon out of his sleeve I was so excited. He only had three days to get ready for the fair because of Scout Camp, but like a champ he pulled it off.

Showing dog

Showing Pygmy Goats

J2 took J's Japanese because his Old English rooster became very, very mean. He was the only kid his age to do showmanship. When the Judge told him he could put away his bird he yelled "All right! I got First!" The primary kids don't do the Master Showmanship but he won a big ribbon and a bag. Later in the day the boys leader brought me another bag for J2, for showing his chickens, or something. I'm still not sure why. But we took it.

Food and Nutrition

Ever since last years Lemon Meringue Pie won Reserve Champion J. has taken to baking. He made some for Thanksgiving that didn't turn out quite the way he should have liked so we tried a few other things. He entered a cake from scratch, a cake from a mix and a pie. The cake from a mix was a rainbow cake that I somehow didn't get a picture of. It was very cool looking and won first for the cake from a mix, which there were more of. The Blueberry Lime Pound was the only one from scratch, which is why it won Best of Show.

Blueberry Lime Pound Cake
Best of Show
(yummy)

Banana Cream Pie
(totally from scratch and tastes like Grandmas!)


J2 wanted to make cookies, so after setting up cages on Monday (and a nap) I helped him make these. He won Best of Show for the Primary kids (under 8). The Judge told me that his cookies tasted better than some Chocolate Chip ones that the FFA (High School) kid had made.

Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies

We also entered a box that J2 made for his dad. He likes to do the wood working (Duh, where did that come from?) so we entered this as an item not from a kit. The judge was impressed that a 6 yr. old made it and told me to keep encouraging wood working.


Adult Master Showmanship


This year we did something new at the fair. Adult Showmanship. We had 30 people sign up. All of the kids who took 1st or 2nd in their showmanship were our judges. I learned how to show all the large animals. I thought that sheep would be easy but I let mine go which is a great way to kill your score. I guess I am better at sheep bullying that showing. The Dairy cows were the funnest and the easiest. I have such a new respect for the kids that do this at the fairs. I was so tired at the end of it. With 30 people in a ring with 30 "judges" things got confusing and I ended up showing Dairy and Sheep twice and I only showed one Beef Cow. Those are huge! But so well trained. Again my hat is off to the kids for training such big animals to walk and stand still for you. The pigs were the worst because they wont stand still, and they will bite. I did get stepped on once by the Jersey and even though she was small it really hurt!

A 9 month old Jersey Dairy Cow
A big Holstein

Holding the Sheep before I let it go.


I didn't win showmanship but I didn't come in last either, that was our FFA leader from the High School who "won" that. We will do it again next year but divide it between the under 30 and over 30 year olds.

Wrap up

This year I was more involved with the running of the fair. I am in charge of the Landscaping Class and the Ladies Lead/Costume Classes. Thanks to my Sister-in-Law, Liz, who came to judge for me! I had kids and parents asking me questions that I didn't know but should have. I'm going to be more involved next year in helping to run the Fair. It was a great fair this year without any major problems and the kids all did great and had fun, which is the most important thing. These 4-H and FFA kids will be the ones who will be growing our food and raising our meat and I really want to support that.

It made for a really busy week. We were at the fairgrounds everyday helping. J almost won outstanding 4-H exhibitor for all the help and hard work that he did. Next year I'll take more pictures to show you how great it is!

4 comments:

j. said...

This seems like such a cool event. Congrats to the boys (and you)!

Juan and Anamaria said...

Wow, what a week! Congratulations to the boys and you! J2 did a great job on his box! You all look great and it looks like a lot of fun! :)

Stephanie said...

Congrats on a successful fair! OK, now you must share some recipes! Those cookies look delicious. I'm very partial to cookies ...

Lisa said...

Busy n Exciting stuff happening in your neck of the woods, eh? WOW! You guys know how to work & create so much. It's rather amazing. I hope J had a good time at his summer campes. Had I read this earlier; I could have asked him how he liked it!

Your harvest is nothing short of AMAZING. I wish I could drive by your house daily & buy your farm fresh because I noticed the sign in your front yard advertising.

I'm really hoping Gerardo brings me a watermelon from Fruit Patch today. The father of the farm has his own PERSONAL few acres of things growiing. He only picks the watermelon when they're fresh & gives them away! LOVE THAT & IT TASTES YUMMY!