Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer Garden

Summer Bounty!

One morning, before school ended, I was hurrying through my morning chores. J2 and I were in the garden watering and I thought that maybe the carrots were ready for thinning. J2 loves the carrots and was helping me to pull them. He was so excited and soon we had quite a few then we moved onto the beets and thinned them as well. As we walked by the fig we noticed that a few of the first batch were rip and picked them too. Figs come in two "waves" first it is the old growth then the new. We didn't get it pruned last fall so the thing is so loaded. Pregnant is even a better word for it. Like me pregnant...huge! We will get lots and will make jam and try our hand at drying them for the winter. (We, meaning Me).


As we were walking through we decided that the last of the Blackberries were ready so we picked them. Not all of them went into the bowl! They were soooo goooood! Last year we got one berry that I found after it went bad. There was a lot of new growth that the berries grow on so we got a goodly amount this summer. Next year maybe enough to make jam with.

It was such a great morning. I had a lot on my mind and was stressed out about things but being in the garden with J2 was so great that I don't even remember what it was I was worrying about. J2 was playing with a carrot and turning it into different things. Carrot rockets, carrot whales, carrot chickens, carrot carrots! He was playing and singing and helping me (sort of) and it made for one of the most wonderful mornings.

I love being in my garden, but I love being in my garden with my son the best!

3 comments:

j. said...

That's a sweet story. And your garden looks amazing!

Lizzie C. said...

I like this post.

Juan and Anamaria said...

The garden looks great, and there is nothing better than food that you grew. J2 and you had a great morning, and as a mom there is nothing better than that! :)