So once in a while, when the urge strikes me and I remember the entry and drop off dates, I'll enter a fair. I have entered the Los Angeles County Fair several times and the above hat won a first place ribbon. My only first place ribbon I have gotten so far. Usually it is handspun yarn. I have entered the Orange County Fair once and had a decent showing, no first, but that is o.k. Usually the items are judged with the Danish System using a rubric (it is judged on its own merit). I also entered it at the Southern Californian Handweavers Conference and won a second place. This year I decided to go for the San Bernardino Fair. I entered 4 items. Three hand spun yarns, Hemp, Silk/Cashmere, and Silk/Camel, and again the above mentioned hat.
The day came to turn it in at the Fair grounds in Victorville, a fair piece of driving from my home. Of course it happened to be on a Friday of a weekend that was jam packed with stuff. I had my Spinning Guild coming for a meeting on Sat, as well as some friends visiting for the weekend from out of town, a grappling tournament and my husbands birthday. So I thought I wouldn't turn them in. I really didn't have the time or the energy to fight Vegas traffic to take it. Fortunately one of the members of my Guild was taking her entries and would take mine. They extended the time to accept entries. San Bernardino is the Largest county in California and in the lower 48 states so I'm guessing they wanted an extra day for all the entries to get there.
So it was entered and life went on. Since I wasn't going to turn them in I never got them ready. I quickly grabbed them during the meeting and labeled them. I would have liked to have washed them, but no time.
Monday night I got a phone call from the Fair. At first I thought it was going to be about an ongoing dispute over J.'s Showmanship fee, but boy was I wrong.
"Hi Mrs. B. I'm calling from the San Bernardino County Fair. I'm calling you to let you know that your item number (whatever) won our BEST OF SHOW."
"What? Really? Well I entered 4 items which one is it?"
"Well, I'm not sure I only have an item number (whatever). We are calling you to invite all the winners to have their pictures taken on Thursday at 7:00."
"O.k. Great! I'll be there!"
I never really caught the number so I'm not sure what it is that won. I looked at my claim tickets and the numbers are all really close. She said it twice.
Fie this accursed dyslexia!!!!
So for days I've been telling people:
"I won BEST OF SHOW!"
"Great! What for?"
"I DON'T KNOW! I'll find out Thursday!"
The day came to turn it in at the Fair grounds in Victorville, a fair piece of driving from my home. Of course it happened to be on a Friday of a weekend that was jam packed with stuff. I had my Spinning Guild coming for a meeting on Sat, as well as some friends visiting for the weekend from out of town, a grappling tournament and my husbands birthday. So I thought I wouldn't turn them in. I really didn't have the time or the energy to fight Vegas traffic to take it. Fortunately one of the members of my Guild was taking her entries and would take mine. They extended the time to accept entries. San Bernardino is the Largest county in California and in the lower 48 states so I'm guessing they wanted an extra day for all the entries to get there.
So it was entered and life went on. Since I wasn't going to turn them in I never got them ready. I quickly grabbed them during the meeting and labeled them. I would have liked to have washed them, but no time.
Monday night I got a phone call from the Fair. At first I thought it was going to be about an ongoing dispute over J.'s Showmanship fee, but boy was I wrong.
"Hi Mrs. B. I'm calling from the San Bernardino County Fair. I'm calling you to let you know that your item number (whatever) won our BEST OF SHOW."
"What? Really? Well I entered 4 items which one is it?"
"Well, I'm not sure I only have an item number (whatever). We are calling you to invite all the winners to have their pictures taken on Thursday at 7:00."
"O.k. Great! I'll be there!"
I never really caught the number so I'm not sure what it is that won. I looked at my claim tickets and the numbers are all really close. She said it twice.
Fie this accursed dyslexia!!!!
So for days I've been telling people:
"I won BEST OF SHOW!"
"Great! What for?"
"I DON'T KNOW! I'll find out Thursday!"
3 comments:
That's awesome!! I love the hat.
CONGRATS!! That's so awesome! Let us know what it was for :)
That's a really cute story. Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment