Friday, April 3, 2009

Eyes Update


After much trials and pushing kids out of the house to the car, out of the car to school, locating lost glasses for J2, and feeding the pigeons this morning, J2 had his Eye appointment. This place is amazing! The funniest thing there is that you have to give them your car keys if your kid wants a train to go on the track in the waiting room. They had too many disappear.

It was a long visit but it went quickly and smoothly. They did some initial eye tests, then the Dr. came and saw him. He was funny and engaging, did Disney voices, like Donald Duck and Goofy, and joked around with J2. They also had cartoons to watch in the exam rooms while we waited, which really wasn't very long.

They had to dilate his eyes which he hates. He hates any water anywhere close to his eyes. We had bought him some sunglasses in preparation and he wore them while we waited for his eyes to dilate.

His eyes are not as bad as I first thought. He is having crossing but it is intermittent. He gave J2 glasses to wear for 3 weeks to see if that may help. If he still has the double vision he will need an MRI to see where we go next. He told me that we could do the glasses one of two ways. I could pay the $35 co-pay for low straight reading glasses or pick them up at the 99 cents store. This is the part that J2 really didn't like. He cried more for the glasses than the dilation. The Dr. had some already so he gave them to us, but I took him after to the 99 cent store so he could pick them out for himself. We also got him a band to keep them on his head. Totaly cost-Glasses .99 cents, Strap-$5.00, Co-pay- $15.00!......TEE HEE!!!

On another annoying note, when I took him to school for track practice there was a white limo in the front. As we got nearer I noticed one of the Kinder moms in front. I asked her what the special occasion was and she told me it was for her daughters birthday party. Her daughter is in J2's class and she only invited the girls. So I told J2 to go out to the field before he figured out that all the girls from class were going in the limo, but not the boys. All the poor little boys had to watch all the little girls line up in front of this huge limo, with a red carpet, and take pictures knowing they were not invited. Now if she wants an all girl party, no problem. But personally I thought it was tacky and mean to pick up the girls at school, and leave the boys. It would have been better to do it at their house instead, but really she is turning 6 not 16, why a lino? I told the other moms that we need to have an all boy party at the end of school for J2's birthday and have a tractor or a horse drawn wagon pick them up and we'll have a party at our house. But I don't want to be petty, so we most likely do only boys.

5 comments:

j. said...

That is the cutest picture!

Good work; it sounds like you have the problem well in hand.

And I'm with you on the high annoyance factor of the limo pickup. That's just pretentious.

Lizzie C. said...

Cool beans on the glasses. That is such a relief to hear that it may not be as bad as you thought. Kudos to the doctors office!

Lisa said...

Loved to come to your blog & see J2 beaming from ear to ear! He's the cutest kid and I love his cheery & fun personality. He gets that from his mom.

The limo was ridiculous. After watching Conference this a.m. it was clear the party was for the mom NOT the girl. SHOW OFF. Oh well... some people just can't see the folly of their ways. However,.... that party for J2 sounds AWESOME. A BOYS dream day if you ask me! Invite the boys and have a GREAT time. That eye doc of yours KNOWS kids & marketing LOVE THAT!

Juan and Anamaria said...

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing better, and that it is not as bad as they thought! The glasses look really cute!
:)

Stephanie said...

I, too, am glad to hear that J2's eyes are not as bad as you originally thought. He's such a cute boy!!

I cannot believe that a mom hired a limo for her 6 year old daughter!! That's way over the top. My son, B, still remembers NOT getting a birthday invitation at preschool. It was heartbreaking. It was in blatant disregard of the rules, for one, and for the other kids' feelings. How did the rest of the boys take it??