Monday, June 1, 2009

Sweet Spirit

Last Thursday I was helping out in the Kindergarten class. One of the moms had to leave early so I moved over to work on the center that she was doing because it required more help. I moved for the last center and missed J2's group. He was sitting with the other two boys at the table and just started to cry. Just out of the blue. He came over to me and I asked him what was the problem. He told me he misses his Abuelo. I took him outside for a drink of water and a quick run around the playground and told him that Abuelo would want him to go back into class and work hard. Sometimes I think he does that to get out of doing something. I just get him to stop crying, tell him Abuelo is happy and with his mom and dad and then find some distraction to get his mind off of it.

Sunday was the 4th anniversary of Abuelo's passing. We knew it was coming and we have talked about Abuelo quite a bit more than usual. When two of the three boys in our house are mirror images of him that isn't hard. (J. and El Patron) We usually talk about him and the things he did or planted here. I don't remember talking about him passing much to the boys, mainly just El Patron and me.

J2 was only 2 1/2 when we lost his Abuleo. He recognizes his picture and calls him "My Abuelo in Heaven".

Sunday J. and I were coming home from Sacramento and J2 was home with El Parton so they went to the cemetery and took some of the flowers that we have growing here. J2 told his dad a story.

"I was sitting at the yellow table and I felt a spirit with me. I was scared at first because I didn't know who it was. Then I realized it was Abuelo so I wasn't scared anymore. But I miss him."

Well, Sweetie, we all miss him.

2 comments:

Lizzie C. said...

I miss him too. I must have just missed you guys at the cemetary on Sunday. I could tell the flowers were fresh when I got there.

Lisa said...

Love it when a kid tells a story. So sweet.

Everyone seems to be having these "moments" during this time. It's interesting to me how powerful and sweet it is to have Spiritual experiences.