Saturday, March 28, 2009

Stripes


It seems as though we have started to live or die by the stripes on our belts. El Patron seems to be the only one immune to the phenomenon. I'm sure that is only because he doesn't work out at our Dojo. He probably wouldn't make a big deal out of it, I didn't think I would, but somehow in engrosses you. A stripe means that you have gone another step to advancing in a belt rank, that your Sensi is pleased with all the hard work and effort that you are putting into your training. The loss of a stripe can be a hard and disheartening event, that you have disappointed your Sensi greatly. The only thing worse than the loss of a stripe is the demotion of a belt rank.

J2 lost a stripe this week. He only had one black one to loose. The other was his red stripe for the Tournament that he fought in. J2 has tried to make friends with the Sensi's step daughter who is about 16. He likes to jump on people he likes, a habit that we are trying hard to break. Wednesday he saw this girl sitting in a corner on some heavy bags and asked her if he could hug her. When she said yes he pounced on her. This caused a huge metal pole that was against the wall behind them to come crashing down onto her head. The pole landed on her head causing her to get 5 stitches as well as having to have a filling in the chipped tooth. J2 has been told a millions times to stay away from the weight area where the little kids are not supposed to go. Sensi was very upset that he was where he wasn't supposed to be and took away his stripe. Needless to say he was devastated that he hurt someone that he likes and also that he lost his stripe. He is very determined to get it back. Sensi told me not to worry about it to much. He knew that the pole was dangerous and meant to move it earlier and he was glad that nobody else was hurt, especially J2. We took her flowers to the Dojo the next day and he was told that she was very mad at him. I'm hopping that the flowers helped her to forgive him. He is only a little guy and is learning. There was no malitions intent in the act...but we'll see. I get the impression she isn't the forgiving type.

J. was told that he is in line for a new stripe. He knows all the moves and is working really hard. All he needs to do is to show Sensi Mental Discipline and stop talking so much. He tries to bargain and explain things. He does it at home to and it drives me nuts. All he needs to say is "Yes, Sensi" and "Yes, Mom." , then do it. If he does that he will get his next stripe for sure. He has two so far on his new orange belt. A week after he got it he asked for a stripe for being able to flip onto his feel from his back. He was told that he would get a stripe if he knew 9 holds. He named 9 of them then showed one of them to Sensi and got his first black stripe. He got the red one for the Tournament. Two more then he move up a belt. He has another grappling tournament coming up in April so by May he could advance.

I have a belt too. It is a white belt. The lowest belt. I try to work out two mornings and two evenings a week. The night classes are a family kickboxing classes. J2 likes those classes whereas J. hates them. The workout isn't as intense as the morning classes because I somehow get a group of 5-7 year old boys with me. We do a circuit training routine where we spend so many minutes on different bags after we warm up. For example 5 minutes on the speed bags then 5 on the double end bags, 5 on the uppercut bags, 5 on the banana bags, 5 on the hanging bags, etc. I always have J2. with me and another little boy named Ki, who's Mom always asks if it is o.k. if he goes with me. Ki thinks I'm his friend, which I am. He had 4 stitches under his eye last Thursday so I was instructed to keep him from opening them back up. J. wont go with me because I will make him work hard the whole time and the Sensi's are busy with a large class and he can dog it most of the time. I've been working on my speed bag and have got I think three patterns down and Sensi gave me a new one on Thursday. He told be that I am getting very good at them and to keep it up. It is amazing how one little complement from him or even Sensi Emory makes you feel so awesome. I was showing J. how to so a side kick from a t-step and Emory yelled out across the gym "Great Side Kick!" It took me a minute to realize he was talking about me. That same night my little "crew" was sparing with each other, except Ki, who was trying to do everything I was doing. I was working on my Muay Thai kicks and Sensi Tony who was working with some High School wrestlers came over and told me that they looked awesome and I was going to get my last stripe on my white belt because I was kicking like a yellow belt. I was elated!!!! It really is a small thing but I really have been working hard on a few things that I want to do better in.

It really is amazing what a small piece of duct tape can do for your ego.

3 comments:

j. said...

I'm fascinated by the stripe phenomenon. It's a brilliant idea.

If I were in your program, I would totally live and die by my stripes.

It sounds like you're kicking butt out there!

Juan and Anamaria said...

Congratulations on your stripes and J2 will get his stripes back soon! It is an awesome sport and it sure does teach a lot of descipline. Joseph did it for a while and really liked it! :)

Lisa said...

What a story! You guys lead very interesting lives to say the least! Whew! No lazy butts at your house & certainly no mundane days ever! It's great to see how passionate you are about your "new" hobby! Cool.